Generating an .STL File
We can generate .STL files from data submitted in Pro/ENGINEER. However, if you wish to provide an .STL file, or to preview the .STL file from a part you have designed, the recommended process is:
Making .stl files from Pro/Engineer
- Click on file, save as.
- Select the file type STL.
- In the Export STL dialog box, set Format to Binary. Binary files are about 1/5 the size of ASCII files.
- Set the Chord Height to zero. The field will be replaced by a minimum acceptable value for the geometry of the model.
- Set Angle Control to .5.
- Name the file and click the OK button. Pro/Engineer will save your STL file, and display your triangles on the screen.
Making .stl files from SolidWorks
- Click on file, save as. Select the path where you wish to save the file.
- For File Type, use the drop-down arrow, choose .stl. Click Options.
- Options - select Binary for file type. Binary files are approximately 1/5 the size of ASCII files.
- Options - Total Quality: Choices are Coarse, Fine, and Custom. Choosing Custom allows access to Total Quality and Detail Quality sliders and fields. In most cases, selecting Fine will produce an acceptable file, for custom try entering .001'' or .002'' for Deviation, and 10 degrees for Angle Tolerance.
- Check the 'Show STL Info Before File Saving' or 'Preview' box to see a faceted view of the .stl file you are creating.
- Select 'Done'
Remember that if the file you are using contains an assembly, and parts are close together, they may be created as a single part or as a collection of parts, depending on how the slicing process goes and what the printing resolution is.
[ HOME ]
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC.
All site materials © 2011 Motorola Solutions Inc. and Motorola Rapid Prototyping Services, All rights reserved worldwide.